This luxurious one-pot risotto is ready in under 30 minutes
There’s nothing more homey and satisfying on a cold evening that a steaming pot of risotto. It’s nutritious and tasty for all the family, and a benefit of this recipe is that it only takes one pot.
This recipe is a really tasty one, with punchy blue cheese, aromatic thyme and seasonal leeks, packed with iron and manganese, and vitamins A, C and K. Serve this with a simple dressed rocket salad, and you may even want to finish off the white wine now that the bottle’s open!
You will need:
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 4 leeks, washed and sliced into 2cm pieces
- 250ml dry white wine
- 300g carnaroli risotto rice
- 100g gorgonzola
- A knob of butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme
Let’s get started!
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and soften over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until they turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir thoroughly for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butter to the pan, and stir until melted. Then, add the rice and stir thoroughly and let the butter coat the rice. Add the thyme leaves at this point and allow to infuse.
- Turn the heat up high, and add the white wine, allowing it to bubble and boil. This should smell fantastic! Stir until evaporated.
- Gradually pour in the vegetable stock, stirring as you go. The rice will become creamy but should still retain some bite. Stir regularly, and add the leeks after about 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and keep an eye on the texture of the rice; the total cooking time should be about 15-20 minutes and the risotto should have a thick and luxurious consistency.
- Crumble in the gorgonzola and stir through, removing from the heat. Cover the pot of risotto and leave to sit for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with some more fresh thyme leaves before serving. For an extra luxurious touch, you could add some chopped walnuts or watercress to the top as well.